St. Martin's Cathedral
Bratislava’s three-nave Gothic cathedral is built on the site of a previous, Romanesque church. After 1291 the church was rebuilt to become part of the city walls.
It has four chapels and the portal of the southern antechamber represents the oldest example of Renaissance architecture in Slovakia. The first monumental work of central-European sculpture made from lead can be found inside the cathedral. It was created by Georg Raphael Donner for the main altar of St.Martin’s in 1734. It depicts St.Martin sitting on a horse rampant, bending to a beggar and cutting his overcoat to share it with the poor man.